Sunday, 25 October 2015

Jimi Hendrix in London


This is my first full colour comic strip, when I bought the beautiful Faber Castell Pitt Artist pens, I love Jimi Hendrix and am fascinated by his rise to super stardom. It all began in London really, when he flew over with Chas Chandler who managed him. They held auditions in little basements in Soho with all manner of drummers and bass players and I've always wished a time machine was available because I'd love to go back to these moments in 1966 and take a look. Actually be in the room and hear the tremendous roar of that Fender Stratocaster (which belonged to Keith Richards apparently) and what was played. The vibes must have been amazing.
they were times we will never see the like of again and that makes me a little emotional. the nearest we can get is to imagine it, which is why i drew this. There are some good lines in this, such as when Jeff Beck, Pete Townsend and Eric Clapton are in the audience at the speakeasy or whatever and I have some dialogue saying "Now Townsend, Beck and Clapton are fretting in a different way" guitar nuts will know frets are also a part of the guitar neck and fingering chord positions is also called 'fretting' so I thought that was a clever double meaning seeing as they were fretting as in; panicking, because he was so good. Clapton actually wanted to give up when he saw Jimi.     

No comments:

Post a Comment